Activity 1-10 Materi Invitation SMP Kelas 8 Semester 1
|Sumber : freepik.com/BiZkettE1|
Activity 1. Look at the picture above.
1. What events or occasions are they?
2. When do people usually hold those occasions?
3. What do they usually prepare to conduct them?
Activity 2. Read the following dialogue.
Ana: Nina, my classmates and I are going to play badminton tonight. Will you join us?
Nina: Playing badminton? Of course, I will. Thanks.
What does Ana express to Nina?
A. He thanks Nina.
B. She asks for apology.
C. She invites Nina.
D. She expresses sympathy.
Nadia:Lina, do you have any agenda this afternoon?
Martha:No. What’s up?
Nadia: Would you like to come to my house? I have some difficulties for doing the assignment.
Martha: Sure. I’ll come around 2 p.m.
Nadia: Thanks in advance.
Martha: Don’t mention it.
How does Martha respond to Nadia’s invitation?
A. She declines it.
B. She refuses it.
C. She accepts it.
D. She ignores it.
Lina: I wonder if you’re willing to come to Dinda’s birthday party with me tomorrow.
Susan: I’d love to but my father wants me to look after my grandmother.
How does Susan's response to Dinda's invitation?
A. She would like to go with him.
B. She accepts it.
C. She rejects it.
D. She has got someone to go with her.
Simple Future Tense
Dalam materi Invitation (ajakan atau undangan) biasanya juga dibahas Simple Future Tense. Untuk mengungkapkan Simple Future Tense diantaranya dapat digunakan 2 (dua) bentuk yakni:
1. Simple Future Tense menggunakan WILL
(+) S + will + Verb base - Martha will help Nadia finish the assignment.
(-) S + will not (won’t) + verb base – Martha will not (won’t) help Nadia finish the assignment.
(?) Will + s + Verb base – Will Martha help Nadia finish the assignment?
A. To express voluntary action:
- Pembicara (speaker) ingin lawan bicara melakukan sesuatu secara sukarela
- Menawarkan sesuatu kepada orang lain
- Menanggapi komplain atau permintaan orang lain
- Will you open the door please?
- I will make you a glass of juice. You look so thirsty.
B. To express a promise
- I will help you then.
- Will you wait for me?
2. Simple Future Tense menggunakan ‘BE GOING TO’
1. BE bisa is, am atau are (menyesuaikan subjek kalimatnya yakni tunggal atau jamak)
2. Setelah to diikuti kata kerja bentuk dasar atau verb base.
(misal 'menulis' bahasa inggrisnya apa? lalu kalian lihat dikamus ketemu kata 'write'. Itulah yang dimaksud kata kerja bentuk dasar atau verb base)
3. Perhatikan posisi kata-kata yang dicetak tebal
(+) S + to be + going to + verb base – Martha is going to help Nadia finish the assignment.
(-) S + to be + NOT + going to + verb base – Martha is not going to help Nadia finish the assignment.
(?) To be + S + going to + verb base? – Is Martha going to help Nadia finish the assignment?
Salah satu kesamaan ‘Will’ maupun, ‘be going to’ dapat digunakan untuk mengungkapkan prediksi yang mungkin terjadi dimasa yang akan datang.
a. A Activity 3. Study the sentences below.
They will play badminton at three sharp this afternoon.
Kemudian kata bantu modal atau modal auxiliary 'will' diganti dengan 'be going to' (be bisa is,am atau are)
(+) They are going to play badminton at three sharp this afternoon.
(-) They are not going to play badminton at three sharp this afternoon.
(?) Are they going to play badminton at three sharp this afternoon?
Exercises! Change the sentences below as in the activity 3 above.
1. Viona will be at home tonight.
2. I’m sorry, I’m a little bit busy tonight. I will install the computer.
3. The students will study history next week.
4. Where will they play badminton this afternoon?
5. What will you do this evening?
Activity 4. Fill in the appropriate future form of verb using ‘will’ or ‘be going to’.
Mela: Take a look at the menu!
Cici: Yummy! I….take the fried carp.
Mela: I ….probably order the grilled chicken. I’ve never tried it.
Cici: Let’s talk a bit about your plans for the next study.
Mela: I….become a data analyst.
Cici: Nice! And what….you….do after that?
Mela: Then, I ….establish my private technology company in our country.
Mela: Yeah, that’s my big dream.
Cici: Hopefully it comes true.
The followings are some examples of expressions (gambits) used to invite someone along with the responses.
You are cordially invited….
Yes. Certainly. (Informal)
I would love to. (Formal)
Activity 5. Read the following dialogue aloud for several times. While you’re reading, attempt to memorize every sentence. Then act it in front of the class with your partner(s).
Dani is calling Fani to invite her thanksgiving day.
Dani: Oh hi. Fani. It’s Dani here.
Fani: Oh hi. How are you doing?
Dani: Great. Well, listen. We’re going to celebrate the Thanksgiving Day. Would you like to come?
Fani: Oh thanks. But I’m working on an essay. I have to finish it as soon as possible because it’s due tomorrow.
Dani: Oh, what a pity. But never mind. Some other time perhaps.
Questions based on the activity 5
1. Who are the speakers in the dialogue above?
2. Do they know each other?
3. How does she open the conversation?
4. What expression does he use to invite?
5. In what occasion does she invite?
6. How does she end the conversation?
Activity 6. Read the following text, then answer the questions.
I’m having a birthday party at Nongki Cafe
On Sunday, Oct 10
At 10 am
You are cordially invited.
Ton of thanks for inviting me to your birthday party.
I would love to come, but I regret to let you know I have to care my little brother.
1. Who invites Ninda?
2. What occasion is the invitation for?
3. Where will the party be held?
4. When will the party be held?
5. What does RSVP stand for?
6. Who replies the invitation?
7. Is Ninda able to come to the party?
8. “I have to care my little brother.”
The word “my” refers to….
Activity 7. Read the text and answer the questions.
You are cordially invited to attend a celebration for:
As she retires from the
Board of Directors of
Wednesday, November 10th, 2020
From 8 until 11 pm
At Ben Hall
1. Who writes the invitation?
2. What event is the invitation for?
3. When will the party be held?
4. How long will the occasion be held?
5. “She retires” means….
Activity 8. Translate into Indonesian language. Pay attention to the bold words.
1. The final exam will be held starting fom 21 Desember 2020.
2. Students are asked to bring their exam card.
3. No note is allowed to use.
Activity 9. Fill in the blanks with the words or phrases provided.
1. Lala…. novels every day.
Novels….by Lala every day.
2. The teacher…..the worksheet.
The worksheet….by the teacher.
3. Santi….the paper soon.
The….by Santi soon.
(will write/will be written)
Activity 10. Read the message below. Then answer the questions that follow.
How are you doing? The exam will be held soon starting from 21 Desember. Here is some notes to remember. Students are asked to be punctual. No note is allowed. Cheating is prohibited. The exam card should be presented. The first day is English. Well, I have to go now. See you then.
1. Who wrote the message?
2. To whom was the message sent for?
3. Why did the message send?
4. What ought Ulfa to bring to the exam?
5. What subject is tested on the first day?
6. The word ‘you’ refers to….
7. The word ‘I’ refers to….
8. The word ’allowed’ means….
9. The word ‘prohibited’ means ….
To be continued to latihan soal